nuffnang

Friday, July 10, 2015

06. Is Tian Kee & Co. Worth It???


 Interior of Tian Kee & Co
 Paddlepop Rainbow-esque Cheesecake $7.50
 Buffalo Drumlets $9.90 for 8 pieces 
Full Breakfast $15.90: Toast, Baked Potatoes, Ham, Sausages & Truffle Egg
--
Here's a short little update from me :) 

I headed to Tian Kee & Co. after 6 months (possibly more..) when me and my girlfriends first took notice of their rainbow cheesecake flooding the squares of Instagram. Finally, I was able to savour these off their extensive menu and to decide for myself whether I would return for a second time..

The buffalo drumlets weren't popular or recommended based off the menu but we decided to go for it anyway - and it was a delightful choice. The sauce wasn't incredibly sweet like most buffalo wings I've sampled at eateries such as TCC, Swensens and Big O. It was infused with a tang of spiciness which is always a good thing in my opinion ;) It was surprisingly good and I would definitely recommend this dish. For $9.90 and 8 pieces, it is quite reasonably priced. I'm usually a wings person but this was finger licking good (literally!) 

I had the full breakfast for myself (they serve all day breakfast, woohoo) and it cost $15.90. This was mediocre and a disappointment. The bread and ham was overly done and slightly hard, whereas the sausages were mushy and definitely not firm to the chew. The truffle egg was nicely done but I would have loved more truffle oil. This was something I could have made in the comfort of my own home and spend a fraction of the price I paid. I usually loooove all day breakfast sets at cafes but this one was just a miss for me. 

For dessert, the three of us shared the rainbow cheesecake (for the sake of Instagram too! Haha). The consistency is similar to jelly, or rainbow kueh. The cheese is subtle and not too overpowering. The crust was my favourite part! A slice cost $7.50. I would say..... a hit for the idea that it looks like the old school paddlepop ice cream and it's photogenic, but a miss in the overall taste. It gets gelat (sickly) after a while.. would not order seconds for this. 

Overall, the food is mediocre (expected, as Tian Kee & Co. is more known for their dessert cakes and pies). The menu is quite extensive, with burgers and mains on top of an all day breakfast selection which includes eggs benedict (ham $14.90 or salmon $15.90), salmon and guacamole bruschetta ($13.90) to name a few. It was about 12pm when we arrived and slowly but surely the crowd started trickling in, mostly from the office and those who wanted a cuppa coffee or two. 

There is seating on the inside and the outside (no air conditioning), but when I went, it was relatively breezy and the sun was not out on full force as it usually is. It's a quaint and homely cafe, and importantly not too claustrophobic like others can get especially when working with a smaller than usual space. I really liked the old school artefacts and ways they incorporated it into the dining experience. Tables were numbered with old school calendar motifs and a humongous kettle was used to hold drinking water! The prices on the menu was also inclusive of GST and service taxes making almost everything quite friendly on the wallet. 

Overall, I would not see myself going back to Tian Kee & Co. The drumlets were good but not life-changing enough. It's nice to try for first timers or just for drinks/coffee and a dessert indulgence but probably not for a full meal in my opinion.

Thank you for reading this short lil update of mine! Till next time,
X.

Tian Kee & Co.
6.5/10
12 Dakota Crescent, Singapore 390012
Closed on Mondays 
Open Tue-Fri from 9am
Nearest MRT: Mountbatten (Circle Line)

No comments:

Post a Comment