nuffnang

Thursday, June 2, 2016

22. My first car accident: Reflections

I guess there's a first for everything in life? I got into my first car accident recently and boy was it an experience. I was hit from the back while my car was stationary (will not go into the little details), and the Singapore law states that once that happens, the vehicle from the back is at fault. The impact was huge, and the car's Neck Pro (installed in the head rests) activated immediately. It was so shocking and I was shaking even after many hours passed.

For anyone's sake, here are some ''tips'' for if you ever get into a car accident..

# Do not admit to any fault (even if it may seem like it is yours). I read a post before on DOs and DONTs and the definite DONT is to say 'I'm sorry'

# Exchange identification cards, numbers and insurance agencies.

# Take as many pictures as you can of your vehicle and the other party's in terms of damage inflicted.

# Do not agree to settle the payment 'on your own' or at another workshop. Always leave it to your insurance agent to contact the other party's agent.

# Drive (if your car is still in a state to) to the nearest police station to make a report.

# Call the TP (Traffic police) or Ambulance if the car is not in any drivable state and if anyone is injured. Also your relevant cars' 24 hour hotline for roadside assist.

# See a doctor. You may seem fine but you never know what's going on inside your body (My boyfriend - in the passenger seat and I were diagnosed with mild head contusions and he had a sprained shoulder with dizzy spells and nausea)

# Be thankful. You're okay!!! Your life is more important than the car's aesthetics. Thank God or your lucky stars if you're not religious.

Take it as an experience and learn from it.

Drive carefully everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Car accidents can be a scary event, especially if it is your first one! Great tips you have added in though. My wife and I learned the hard way that you definitely do not want to admit to fault after any type of accident. Glad it sounds like you are doing okay after yours!

    ReplyDelete