nuffnang

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

01. Eyelash Extension Review: Brow & Beauty House

Disclaimer: everything written in this post is true to my experience and are my own opinions. There may be differing experiences by others which I fully respect, these are just my words.
--
Edit: I went down to Novalash today at Marina Sq (exit B esplanade MRT) to get my badly done eyelash extensions removed ($30, I believe it's cheaper if removal is for their own lashes). The amazing girl there warned me that it'll be a little pain because my cluster lashes were really thick and also, it was just done one day before. I was there for about 45 minutes before FINALLY, it was off! It was quite painful during certain parts and she explained it was because the glue the previous beautician used was too much and thick :/ Maybe in future I would try Novalash out! They've been recommended widely by beauty bloggers and magazines alike.

Recently I purchased a Groupon coupon for eyelash extensions, it was my first time doing so and my girl friend had wanted to get hers permed so we decided to try it out at the same store..

The salon was pretty small, we were shown to two chairs near the entrance of the salon, the reclinable kind. We paid $28, so I wasn't expecting too much in terms of ambience.

Before starting on my eyelashes, she asked me whether I had done this before and it being my first time; she told me to avoid swimming and rubbing the extensions after showering/facial cleansing. I also proceeded to tell her I wanted natural looking extensions... Then, I lay down, excited for longer lashes!!

She showed me two kinds of lashes, according to her, one was better than the other because it was softer and of better quality (from Korea). She even let me feel the difference between the two. I decided to go ahead with the 'better' ones and this required me to top up a further $15... because I wanted my first experience to be better. There were no single lash options for me to choose from, only multi strand clusters of three;

(picture from google to illustrate above point of multi strand)

She then started with the procedure. In the beginning it didn't feel like much, no pain, just a little tingly sensation at the lids. The beautician started chatting with another lady (potential customer, I assume) who enquired about the extensions she was doing on me, the prices ($128 original) and claimed they looked natural and pretty. I was of course, relieved to hear that. Their conversation also revealed that the beautician was already doing this for 10 years and this further relieved my apprehensiveness of a first timer doing eyelash extensions.

As several minutes passed, my eyes started stinging (effects of the glue?) and started watering slightly. I assumed this was all part of the process or because it was my first time and I was not used to it. This was the same for both eyes. I would rate it 4/10 in terms of being comfortable. After she adhered the extensions to both sides of lashes, she gave me a mini fan to blow at them as my eyes remained closed.

After about 15 minutes? She told me to try opening my eyes, but they stung really badly the moment I tried to open them so she continued with the mini fan. This occurred for about 3 more times before I could finally open them for a slightly longer period of time (still with the fan blowing at the lashes though). I told her I could not really see clearly as the extensions interrupted my vision field (Was this 'natural'!??!) She told me to push them up every now and then and they would be alright. I also mentioned that it felt stingy and she seemed to know where it stung exactly.. telling me it would also be alright later on. 

My girl friend on the other hand, was still perming her lashes. She was supposed to be done before me but they kept redoing her lashes because I overheard they were still hard and not going in the desired direction... I asked her if it was pain (it couldn't just be me right?!) and she said yes, a little bit. 

We left the shop at around 1:20pm. It is now 11:40pm and my eyes are STILL stinging, blinking a little harder than usual hurts and my vision is still obstructed even though I did push the extensions up every now and then. Driving back was alright but as more of the day passed, the pain did not subside. Pain whilst in the procedure and slight stinging would have felt normal to me but after so many hours, I didn't think this was the norm. 

This could all be a overreaction or a result of paranoia lol but I called up Carragheen and Novalash (well known eyelash extension boutiques in Singapore after googling) and enquired about this. They both advised me to remove them, even though it has not even been a day. I immediately set up an appointment.

My pain threshold is usually high..... and I dare say even waxing my lady parts was not as uncomfortable as this... The beauticians were very friendly with my girl friend and I, their service was not impeccable but not terrible either. They were not rude or rough with us but I really would not recommend going for eyelash perming or eyelash extensions at their boutique if this is the result. I decided to read more reviews of eyelash extensions and what I experienced is certainly far from the norm. :/

Quote from a blogger's post on past experiences with bad extensions:

Before I begin introducing GRACEOUS, let me start by saying I have tried eyelash extension elsewhere in Singapore and Taiwan but there are always issues such as:
- My eyes feeling the sting from the glue
- The overpowering smell of the glue during the procedure which gets pretty unbearable I can start whizzing 
- The discomfort from the stiff eyelash extension when I sleep, wash my face, bathe etc 
- Feeling the horrible weight of the eyelashes due to the lousy quality'

^ OF WHICH I AM FEELING ALL OF (except the wheezing part)
 (Although they certainly did not end up like this): 

vs
(Mine which look decent compared to the above but really, 0.5/10 comfort level)

I hope you girls do not get into the same scenario as I did, what with the money spent and comfort compromised. I am pretty sure I am going to lay off eyelash extensions for a while, if not forever now. Mascara, or short lashes, I will embrace them. 

Almost a 100 people bought the groupon, I sure hope their experience isn't as such. As I said, this is my individual experience and my opinions which I thought was important to share (e.g creating a blog just for it! haha maybe this would be a regular thing!)

Brow & Beauty House Rating: 0.5/5 

P/s I would love comments telling me where you've done eyelash extensions, the experience and if not, what alternatives do you use? (Mascara,falsies..) 

1 comment: